Whats This?

This recipe blog is an extension of my original blog Motivation... Determination... Drive. Having been asked numerous times what is involved in paleo eating and the simple question "so... what can you eat?" I have decided to put this collection together. Some of the recipes will be original, and some will be modifications (or replicas) of recipes I have found in cookbooks books or on line. Every recipe listed will be something I have tried, nothing that I think just looks good and want to attempt. As a disclaimer, I will not take credit for those found at other sources, if you are to use one listed with a link attached please give credit to the original site. Thank You and happy eating!!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Chicken Spinach and Prosciutto Bundles with Spinach, Strawberry and Avocado Salad

Whats on the menu? Chicken Spinach and Prosciutto Bundles (find it HERE) with Spinach, Strawberry and Avocado Salad (find it HERE)

How easy was it to make?  I have realized why people eat chicken so much... because its pretty easy to cook (after you get over the touching raw chicken thing, which I am doing really well at). I think now is the time to point out how NOT boring eating Paleo is. Now we could slap chicken and beef on a plate every day, but WHY?! There are so many great recipes out there. Give some of them a shot, one or two days a week make something out of the norm. Too many and you might get overwhelmed, but just TRY it sometimes. You wont be sorry (most of the time).

Now, back to the question, it was pretty easy. I cut the fat off the boneless skinless chicken breasts and arranged them on the wax paper first, than did the mushrooms. I was trying to figure out hot to minimize the amount of times I had to touch the chicken and wash my hands. I am paranoid when I handle chicken. It worked our really well and the kitchen smelled amazing just from the garlic and mushrooms.

I used more prosciutto than recommended because I used whole chicken breasts and not small pieces. So it took quite a few pieces to wrap around and hold the spinach in tightly. The rest of the prep was also pretty easy. Than into the oven it went.

The salad... WOW. I will absolutely make this one again this summer. Just a year ago I was totally against putting any type of fruit in my salad... and thought nuts belonged in dessert only. I am so glad I made the choice to give it a shot! In so many ways, in so many recipes, it is delicious!

In wanted something light and fresh for a side and this was perfect. I am not a huge kale fan, especially raw, so I subbed with baby spinach. The prep was a piece of cake. 

So... how was it? I really liked both the salad and the chicken. I think next time I might add a little less chicken stock and a little more lemon and vinegar to the mushroom mixture on the chicken. Otherwise perfect! The dressing for the salad can be used for many salads. Perfect mixture of salty and sweet.

Will I make it again? Totally. Together or separate, they were great. One thing, if you dont eat all the salad the first time and refrigerate it overnight the dressing does sort of harden up, so you will have to leave it out a bit to "thaw." Still tasted amazing, but if you are going make it for a party or something keep that in  mind. Its better fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment